A board director requires a different mindset and skillset from an operating executive — specifically corporate governance and fiduciary responsibilities.
I will partner with you to gain insight on what it means to be a candidate for a board — to confirm your board readiness. We will identify your value proposition, create your board bio, develop a networking strategy, and prepare for interviews — to demonstrate your board readiness.
Different kinds of executives come to me seeking board positions:
- Middle management and senior leaders looking for their first board
- Senior operating executives seeking more boards
- Nonprofit board directors looking for advisory, private, and public boards
- Private board directors seeking public boards
We address a range of challenges:
- How do you assess your board readiness — changing your mindset from operating to governance?
- Are you ready to shift your focus from operating outcomes to broader fiduciary responsibilities with accountability?
- How will you demonstrate your capacity to influence and build consensus versus directing others?
- Are you open to changing from being a subject matter expert in your current industry to learning new ones, business models, customer segments, or geographies, etc.?
- What are your value proposition and transferrable skills?
- How do you create a board bio with governance competencies?
- How will you tap into and expand your current network?
- On which committees will you add value?
- How do you communicate board readiness on interviews?
- How will you increase your visibility to be noticed for board positions?
Our Process Together
I will partner with you to gain insight through self-reflection — focusing on demonstrating competencies needed to be a successful board candidate.
- Clarify breadth of your skills — what contributions can you make?
- Explore your expertise — to which committees will you add value?
- Assess your prior oversight responsibilities — what does a company need to succeed?
- Gain insight about leveraging your risk management experience to deliver your fiduciary responsibilities
Develop a Plan
- Develop a clear positioning — demonstrating your board readiness
- Create a board bio — with your value proposition focused on governance competencies
- Build a networking strategy — many board positions are filled through networking
- Prepare for board interviews — to build confidence
- Feel supported — throughout the process
Contact me for a complimentary consultation
Click here to begin